More than 150 years and six generations after it was established, Marnier Lapostolle is still owned and managed by the founder's family. It all began in 1827 when Jean-Baptiste Lapostolle set up a distillery in Neauphe-le-Château, where he produced fruit liqueurs. In 1876 his granddaughter married Louis-Alexandre Marnier, who created the famous Grand Marnier liqueur in 1880. The business has grown substantially over the years and now produces a wide range of mostly Cognac based spirits, making the Société des Produits Marnier-Lapostolle the world’s 5th largest purchaser of Cognac. However the family continues to innovate, and today produces premium spirits around the globe.
Cordon Rouge is the original Grand Marnier liqueur created in 1880 by Louis-Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle and was first served at receptions given by Edward VII and Emperor Franz Joseph before becoming a favourite of the Russian Court.